If you previously had your books listed in HomeBase and your computer has crashed, you can recover your information. Simply download and install HomeBase, if you no longer have it, and then download your online listings by following the instructions provided below. Please be aware that only the online listings will be downloaded, any internal information you had had (such as sold books, customer data & invoices) will be lost as this was only stored in your computer.
There is a two-part process for copying your book inventory from the AbeBooks system to your HomeBase program: Downloading and Importing.
STEP 1. Downloading:
- [Sign On] to your AbeBooks.com bookseller account
- From the Members Menu select [Downloads]
- Click [Download your book records in North American format]
- Click the [Press Here To Initiate File Download] button
This begins the process for creating the book data file - it may take 30 minutes to complete. You will then be sent the following email note stating the book data file is ready for download:
"...As per you recent request, a HomeBase import file called HBImport.txt has been created for download on the AbeBooks website. Please download the file via a link on our Members Menu titled 'Download Pending HomeBase Import Files'."...
- Return to the Members Menu (you may need to sign on again) and again select [Downloads] and then click the [Download your pending HomeBase file now!] button
- Then select [Click here to download the latest HomeBase import file
- Once the entire HomeBase file is displayed on your screen, pull down the File menu and choose "Save As..." which will display a default file name
- Select the directory on your computer where you want this file saved and where it will be easiest for you to find the file, we suggest on your Desktop
- Click the [Save] button and the inventory file will begin transferring to your computer
STEP 2. Importing:
- Start up your HomeBase program
- Near the top left of your screen pull down the File menu and choose "Import"
- On the "Book Import Control Panel" window, choose either the "Merge" or "ZAP" option:
ZAP - deletes your existing books and replaces them with the book data from AbeBooks.
Merge - adds the books from AbeBooks to the books you already have in HomeBase.
- Click [OK]. An "Open" screen will appear
- Select the inventory file you wish to open and click [Open]
- Click on the Desktop icon
- Select the HBIMPORT.TXT file
Note: HomeBase will process the file and display the number of books transferred.
- Click [OK] to close the download report screen
The HomeBase will now list the current number of books for sale contained in your database. The count should include the books imported from the AbeBooks system.